The Seeley Family

The Seeley Family
Justus' Farewell Family Pic

Saturday, May 8, 2010

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without!"

We've all heard this good old fashioned mantra probably from our Depression Era grandparents who passed it on.

Well, let me tell you, in light of the recent economic downturn I think this sage old advice has particular new meaning. Of course, some people prefer to call it "going GREEN" but I like to think of it more sentimentally as "wisdom from our loved ones before us". :)

Sooooooo...I'm posting a few pictures of projects I've undertaken in my effort to make things last longer.

First of all, it seems with little kids that they outgrow their clothes OVERNIGHT. And since Anna is the last girl (that's right, no more kiddos on the way, REALLY!) I especially like to make her darling clothes stretch a little longer. Here's some cute examples.

Anna is a typical little girl who hates turtlenecks. (Are they even in style anymore?) So, rather than get rid of the cute shirts, I "refashioned" them by cutting off the turtleneck and using the scraps to make a ruffle on the front. Cute, huh? She'll actually wear it too!



I took some cute brown knit stretch pants from Carters and turned them into capris, sewing the scraps as a ruffle on the bottom. She should be able to wear these for awhile.



Here's a cute dress I bought at a children's consignment shop for $3.00 and really liked the colors in it.



I thought it needed a few changes, including some kind of sleeve, so I cut off the back ties and used them to make an arm ruffle and the center of my big flower on the sash. Then of course I had to make a hot pink tulle petticoat for underneath. The materials were all scraps (except the tulle) and for about $2.00 more here's the end result. Very fun and fresh and springy I think! (Now I just need to get a picture of Anna wearing it.) Girls are SO fun to dress up! :)





Here are a few last odds and ends:

some baby bibs made from pants



The possibilities are endless and makes you take a new look at your clothes closet!

No comments:

Post a Comment