The Seeley Family

The Seeley Family
Justus' Farewell Family Pic

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Prom Past and Present and Peach Colored Dresses

Here I am circa 1983 with my Senior prom date,David Tenney. We had a fun date and I remember finding this light peach dress at the Gunne Sax outlet in San Diego just a week or so before. I think I paid $25. Believe it or not, it was a popular dress style back then!



Flash forward 27 years...

Here's Sara in MY prom dress.



She said it reminded her of a pioneer dress. I don't remember feeling "pioneerish" when I wore it.

SO...Sara was asked to her Junior Prom and she needed a dress. She has great friends that encourage each other to be modest and bargain hunters too. We just happened to be at D.I. a month before prom when Sara spotted a rack of various formal gowns. They were various styles, new and older. Some of them obviously worn only once and by the name brand, quite expensive. She decided on a silk handbeaded peach colored dress. (There must be something about peach...) It was lovely! It fit her perfectly! It matched her fair complexion! It was only $10.00! It was definitely going to need some altering though.



With some time on her hands before Prom, Sara decided to tackle this dress as a Personal Progress value project. Off we headed to JoAnn's Fabrics. We found some contrasting fabric for 50% off to make sleeves and a sash. Still not sure of a pattern, we were undaunted.

In the end, Sara got it all done the night before using ideas just out of her head, no pattern, and "Wa La!" I think it turned out great!



Here's some pictures of her fun Prom date. They had a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment